When Birchbox first came out I was a dedicated subscriber. $10 a month was totally worth it to try out samples of new products and I even discovered some of my favorites, like this BB cream and this cheek stain, through my monthly box. However, a few too many green nail polishes later (really, Birchbox? More than one green nail polish for a girl that has described her taste as classic?), I decided to cancel my subscription.
On a whim, I decided to give Birchbox one more shot. Well, I must say, they have really upped their game. June’s box included large samples that allow for more than just a one or two time use. I mean look at the mini shampoo bottle, the eyeliner, and the tube of face wash – those are hearty sample sizes!
The products featured this month included:
- Davines Love Smoothing Shampoo, Conditioner, and Ol All in One Milk: While this is designed for dry, frizzy hair and mine is straight and smooth, I still decided to give it a whirl. I took a shower after hot yoga, washed my hair with the shampoo and conditioner, and went straight to bed. The next morning, as I was getting ready for work, I couldn’t believe how silky and smooth my hair looked… then I remembered the Davines shampoo and conditioner and it all made sense.
- Harvey Prince Hello perfume: I know perfume samples aren’t for everyone, but I love getting them in my Birchbox. They’re perfect to take along when traveling or to stash in my purse. This particular perfume has a girly, youthful scent. It’s floral, but not overly romantic, and it has a bit of a nostalgic scent to it, though I can’t quite place it. However, it wore off within minutes and an hour later, I couldn’t detect it at all.
- Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser Starter Kit: I have not tried this yet, but I have a feeling it will be deserving of its own post! Just the packaging alone already makes it a winner in my book.
- Supergoop! Everyday SPF 30: I have heard so much about Supergoop! and have been dying to try it, so I was thrilled to receive this in my Birchbox. While I haven’t used it on a beach or a pool day yet, my fingers are crossed that it’ll be sunny this weekend and I’ll be able to try it out.
- Cynthia Rowley Beauty Black Eyeliner: Though I typically opt for brown eyeliner, I’ll sometimes use black for a little more drama at night. This is an easy to use eyeliner that goes smoothly and doesn’t smudge all over eyelid as the evening draws to a close.
- Cynthia Rowley Creamy Lip Stain: When I first saw this, I immediately didn’t like the mauve color. How old and unflattering, I thought. However, when I put it on, it turned to a pretty rosy neutral. Also, I didn’t read carefully and wasn’t aware it was a stain when I applied it. Needless to say, I was a happy camper when I realized the shine and texture of a gloss could be successfully combined with the staying power of a stain.
Needless to say, I’ll definitely be keeping my subscription for now. If you’re compelled to try out Birchbox, sign up here! (Full disclosure, you can earn points when people sign up with your link!)