Well y’all, I’m officially two weeks into living alone and I’ve got to say it’s just as delightful as I imagined. Going from a place where I had more square footage (and closet space!) than I knew what to do with to a 530 sq. ft apartment was a bit of a challenge, but I’ve figured out how to make every inch work for me and I’ve found it’s wonderful to have a haven all my own to retreat to at the end of the day.
I loved this article from a while back on The Everygirl about Lessons Learned While Living Alone, so I thought I’d pull together a few of my experiences thus far…
- I never used to listen to music around the house…podcasts while getting ready or cooking, yes, but music while working, no. Since living by myself, however, it’s just a little bit too quiet unless there’s some music on in the background. Though it can’t be anything I know the words too, because we know I’m easily distracted.
- The fridge! OMG, it’s so clean and sparse. Somehow, even just living with one other person, the fridge was always jam packed. It’s that constant cycle of forgetting what’s yours and buying more over and over again. Now I know exactly what I have and what I need to pick up.
- Not having to share a bathroom with anyone is the best thing ever. I also upgraded from a 1950’s bathroom to a beautiful gray bathroom with an amazing shower, so that doesn’t hurt.
- Let’s be honest, even in my apartment that I shared with a roommate, the common room décor was all mine. However, it’s been so fun to decorate a place where I feel like it’s truly an expression of me and not something that I’m forcing on someone else as well.
- I feel bad that Hamp is truly alone if I’m not home…but don’t worry, I do not plan on getting another cat. Yet.
- This has more to do with my new neighborhood then living alone, though we’ll include it because a lot of my friends have said living alone has made them much more intentionally social. I’ve always maintained a packed schedule, but it is so much easier now that I can walk everywhere. Goodbye spending an ungodly amount of money on uber every month.
This weekend I’m going to try to take good pictures of the new place for a house tour…the lighting is not great for photos in the morning or the evening, but I think I should be good to go with midday light, so stay tuned!