Happy Friday! This week has flown by! I had a fairly low key week, but did have an amazing first book club meeting on Wednesday. I have a post in my drafts that dives into the book we read and discussing what I learned from the book and from the other women’s thoughts on it, so you’ll just have to wait to hear more.
LOOKING AHEAD TO THE WEEKEND
This weekend is actually totally unscheduled at the moment besides for the usual yoga and barre classes, though I’m going to try to squeeze in lots of time for catching up on blog work, taking pictures to get ahead of posts, and maybe visiting a museum to get some creative inspiration. It’s funny, I always intend to have this post go live on Saturday morning, but then I start writing it while I eat breakfast on Friday, get into the groove, and then here it is. Which I suppose works better for y’all because it gives you some reading for your slow Friday! So read on for everything I’m thinking at the moment…
- Katie and Dana‘s recent money diaries, inspired by Refinery 29’s series, were so enlightening to read and really made me think about the money I spend on a daily basis. I live by Mint.com and try my best to stick to my monthly budget, which right now has a huge chunk every month dedicated to wedding saving. To illustrate how strictly I stick to my budget, right now all I have left for February is $30 in my grocery category…and that’s it across all categories. So I’m going to try to have a low key weekend and not spend anything beyond that allotment.
- On the same note, I’ve often thought about how being in a relationship affects the money we spend. Using my $30 left for the month as an example, there are two ways to look at it. On one hand, I can easily get around spending money by going out to dinner and having Adam pay (typically I buy groceries and he buys meals out). I still get to go out, but I don’t have to spend money. On the other hand, because there’s someone else involved, I feel guilty trying to scrimp and save in ways that I wouldn’t if I was the only one that my budget was impacting. So, I suppose it ends up a wash in the end?
- Looking for some great deals on clothes and accessories? Check out my Poshmark closet. I’m updating it almost daily with new items at amazing prices. Remember, you can always make an offer below the listed price!
- If you’re skin is feeling dull with all this crazy back and forth weather, face oils are your new best friend. I wrote about a few of my favorites from total steal to a bit of a splurge. Another great solution for dealing with the changing temperatures? A humidifier at night.
- February is a great time to start focusing on making moves to advance your career. I love this recap of two weeks of doing something every day to make sure you’re moving in the right direction. For me, I want to pick up more freelance writing and design work and maybe even some interior design consulting, so I need to make sure my portfolio is in tip top shape and make a plan to get it out there. Anyone have a connection at Apartment Therapy or Domino they want to pass my way, pretty please?
- It’s great that H Street is becoming such a dining destination, but I’d definitely noticed how many of the restaurants are vegetarian or vegan focused. I was vegetarian for 8 years, so I appreciate it, but I wish we’d also get maybe a hamburger based casual restaurant?
- I’ve been looking for a new bathing suit to wear for my first trip to Las Vegas this spring (I’m not sure it’ll be warm enough, but Adam swears it will be…), and apparently Nordstrom Rack is the place to look. So many cute options at great prices.
- On Friday mornings I wake up a bit earlier to clean the house – swiffer, dust, vacuum, windex – but this article opened my eyes that there are perhaps a few spots I might be forgetting.