Before I dive into this amazingly delicious banana almond butter superfood smoothie bowl, let me give you a little background on why I’m so tuned into superfoods these days. Over the past year or so, through a combination of working from home most days and living within a 5 minute walk from the metro, the grocery store, and barre studio (okay, I feel silly because it sounds like I’m complaining that everything I need is TOO close), I had put on a couple pounds. It’s crazy how a lack of walking can set you back! Plus, Adam and I eat dinner together every night, and, for those of you who live with your significant others, you know that keeping up with a guy at mealtime can be a recipe for disaster.
GETTING MY EATING ON TRACK
Well, last month I decided to get back on track. While my regular workouts had never faltered, I definitely had some work to do on the eating front. I knew that tracking my eating would be the best way to truly get to the bottom of what I was taking in too much of, so I downloaded MyFitnessPal and started tracking every bite I ate. Literally, every single bite. And it’s totally worked. It’s made me more conscious of what I’m putting in my mouth – and the guilt of entering in something like “Cheetos” definitely stops me from making bad decisions. With being more aware of my decisions has also come the desire to eat more superfoods – those nutrient-rich foods that we just can’t get enough of.
WHAT SUPERFOODS SHOULD I BE EATING?
Of course I’m not a nutritionist, so I’m only speaking from my own experience, but there are a few superfoods that I like to sneak into my diet each and every day. From powders that I include in my smoothies to supplements, there are so many ways to make sure that your body is getting what it needs. Here are a few of my favorites:
- iWi® Omega-3: An alternative to fish oil, I love these vegan and vegetarian friendly capsules that not only provide an easy to absorb dose of heart-healthy Omega-3’s, but their nutrients are sustainably sourced, so you don’t have to wonder if what you’re taking in is legit.
- Chia Seeds: Oh, chia seeds, sometimes I love them, sometimes I hate their goopy texture. BUT, I do love chia seed pudding as a dessert alternative and a great way to take in these Omega-3 and antioxidant rich tiny seeds that are full of fiber and good cholesterol.
- Bee Pollen: These little Pop Rock lookalikes have a whole slew of health benefits from serving as an antioxidant to reducing inflammation to strengthening the immune system. Plus, they add a sweet little crunch to smoothies and oatmeal.
- Maca Powder: Not only do I love the nutty flavor that maca powder adds to my breakfast and dessert smoothies, but it also does wonders for energy level and endurance.
- Cocoa Powder: Yup, cocoa and cacao powder are superfoods. Crazy, right? Yes, they’re a stimulant, but they also contribute to lower blood pressure and evening out mood levels.
BANANA ALMOND BUTTER SMOOTHIE BOWL
So, how do I actually manage to consume all these superfoods in one day? Typically, I throw them all into a smoothie and call it a day. This Banana Almond Butter Smoothie Bowl is currently my absolute favorite way to start a day – or to have as a healthy dessert.
1 banana, sliced and frozen
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tsp cocoa powder (or cacao if you prefer, I used cocoa because I had it on hand)
1 tbsp maca powder
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tbsp collagen peptide powder
1 tbsp superfood powder blend with protein (you can pick this one up at Whole Foods)
1 tbsp bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tbsp bee pollen
1/2 banana, sliced
Mix all smoothie base ingredients together until smooth, but don’t overmix (I use my Nutribullet). You want this to have the consistency of something that you can eat with a spoon – and that will hold the toppings on its surface. Top with chocolate, coconut flakes, bee pollen, and banana. Enjoy!