We’re not seeing much of anyone these days, so where do we start on beauty upkeep while social distancing? This has been a topic of much discussion on my group texts and Zoom happy hours.
People are wondering how to replicate a salon experience at home…without any professional experience. From manicures to haircuts to hair color to waxing, desperate times are leading to desperate measures.
Note: as one wise friend advised, if you’re looking to do an at-home waxing, just stop with your bikini line, do not overestimate your abilities.
MUST-DO BEAUTY UPKEEP WHILE SOCIAL DISTANCING
I do believe there’s a connection between how you look and how you feel, so maintaining our normal primping and pampering rituals, even during social distancing, shouldn’t fall to very last priority (maybe below making sure you’re fed, healthy, and staying sane-ish, but above tending to your Animal Crossing).
I feel better when I’m putting effort into looking pulled together and that includes getting dressed every day and continuing to do (most) of my everyday beauty upkeep.
When I wake up every morning, I take a shower, do my makeup, try to do something with my hair once it air dries. Every other day or so, I try to add a bit more pampering into my morning shower. That could be a face mask or a scrub. I have my nails done. Sure, I’m not going out, but I’m hanging out on Zoom every day, right?!
MY CURRENT BEAUTY UPKEEP ROUTINE
If there’s anything my beauty upkeep while social distancing has taught me, it’s that, while I’m an absolute product junkie (I never met a serum I didn’t want to try), my professional upkeep is minimal — and that’s a plus given the current climate. I’m now low maintenance in any way, shape, or form, but I’m also not someone who goes for regular professional manicures or pedicures, I’ve never waxed my eyebrows, and I get my hair, which I’ve never colored, cut once a year…maybe.
I know I’m at a slight advantage in that I’m not missing services. But, regardless, this is what I am doing right now.
- Face masks: I try to do a face mask every few days that aligns with what I feel my skin needs in that moment. Maybe it’s moisture or perhaps it’s clearing. A few of my favorites include the Boscia Charcoal Mask, Fresh Rose Face Mask, and Silk Therapeutics Renewing Gel Exfoliator. I also love to really treat myself on tired days with a Everydaze Hydro Gel Eye Patches — these are great for that little bit of added moisture when I need it most!
- Whitening strips: I’m not great at following the full treatment plan to use Crest White Strips day after day, but I always like to have them on hand when I need to freshen up.
- Collagen: I’ve been taking Mary Ruth’s Collagen Boosting Gummies ever since they sent me a bottle a couple of weeks ago and I also use a scoop of collagen in my tea each evening.
- Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamins: In addition to Vitamin C, Magnesium (for migraines), and Vitamin B Complex, I take a Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamin each and every day. Nature’s Bounty is the brand I’ve used for years.
- imPRESS nails: I’ve written about my love of press-on nails before and they’re coming in clutch right now. It’s been 11.5 months since I had an in-person manicure and I may never go back, even for occasions.
- At-home pedicure: I couldn’t tell you the last time I paid for a pedicure. I do an at-home pedicure every month or so and I try to use a pumice stone on the shower once a week. I don’t have a post on how to do it, but this article from Real Simple gives you the details.
- Shave my legs every day: I did this anyway, but it’s because it’s a big part of what makes me feel polished. I think if you’re in the habit of doing this daily, it’s far easier and takes under a minute to do both.
- Moisturize: I put body lotion on every single day. I bounce around, but Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream has been a staple on my shelf over the years.
- Daytime skincare: I switch up my skincare routine regularly since I’m always trying new products, but right now, I’m using the Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer. It locks moisture in all day long, which I need when I’m inside with the air conditioning on. Plus, it feels super lightweight, yet makes my skin feel supple. An ideal combo. Of course, I also am never without sunscreen: Supergoop Anti-Aging Eye Cream and Supergoop Everyday Sunscreen SPF 50.
- Evening skincare: Every night, I use a Retinol (right now, it’s Peter Thomas Roth PRO Strength Retinoid Peptide), followed by Aquaphor in the places where I have dry spots, then Weleda Skin Food, Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask (I love the Vanilla they now have!) and finally Acure Seriously Soothing Blue Tansy Night Oil to seal it all in.
THE BEAUTY UPKEEP I’M NOT WORRYING ABOUT
So, what am I not worried about? Well, that’s an easy answer: MY HAIR.
If you’ll recall, I wrote a blog post a couple of months ago about the drastic hair cut I sprung for. The stylist did a great job, truly, but…it didn’t take long for me to regret it. I like being able to style my hair, particularly as the weather gets warm. I miss buns, ponytails, braids, the list goes on. Needless to say, I’m not upset that I won’t be able to cut my hair for an undetermined amount of time, because it could be a year before I even want to think about getting a trim.